Thursday, January 6, 2011

WW II Memorial


My parents came up for a 2nd Christmas and to spend New Year's Eve with us! I'm so grateful that they made the trip...they spoiled both girls with their love and lots of gifts! Unfortunately, they forgot to bring a few storage bins to help me store and rotate older toys. I'm totally kidding; I appreciate their generosity more than they will ever know!

On New Year's Eve Day - me, my parents, and D ventured into The District with my new GPS - a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT (Lifetime Maps & Traffic). If you're in the market for one, it's awesome. Thanks Mom & Dad...I absolutely love it!

It was a great day to go into the city. It wasn't too crowded and the weather was in the 50s. I wish we would have started earlier so we could have seen a few more things. It so wonderful living here - there's so much you can see and do.

We went into DC to sightsee some of the monuments from my car and to walk around the World War 2 Memorial. It was a humbling experience to say the least. It reminded me of the sacrifices that service men and women, and their families, make everyday in order for the rest of us to be protected and free.

My Grandpa Jack, my mom's dad, served in WWII; he was in Europe for most of The War (Grandma - please correct me if I'm wrong) and then was about to go to the Pacific when the War ended. My mom said he didn't talk about The War much; but he did share a funny story. It certainly wasn't funny at the time, but after the fact (and the movie "Forrest Gump")...we can laugh about it now. He had a Forrest "something jumped up and bit me...right in the buttocks" moment... when he ventured out into the woods to answer nature's call and was targeted by a sniper...thank goodness that sniper wasn't a good shot!

I loved my Grandpa Jack and I miss him so much! If one of our girls would have been a boy - we would have named him - Jackson "Jack" Marshall - Jack, obviously after my Grandpa and Marshall was Todd's maternal Grandfather's middle name. Maybe we'll have a 3rd child...but don't hold your breath because the terrible 3s are hitting our house at the moment, both of our hands are full with our work/life balance, and our bank account isn't growing - kids are alot of work and really expensive but worth every minute and penny we have...so as for now we are a happy family of just 4 plus Tucker!

Back to the memorial...
Since I grew up as a military child and my grandfather served in The War, I have always had respect and admiration for the military; as a grown woman, I am so very proud of my Grandpa Jack and my Marine Corps Father, the work they did, and selfless service they provided to our country. I cherish my freedom and the am forever grateful to both of them and all service men and women past, present, and future!

The World War II Memorial is beautifully situated between The Washington Monument and The Lincoln Memorial.





























I love my Dad & The Marines!
Semper Fidelis! Ooh Rah!

No comments: