Monday, October 25, 2010

Nap

Naptime has become a real struggle over the last few weeks. I'm not ready for Gracie to stop her naps (surprise, surprise) and I don't think she is either.

Gracie is usually adamant that she does not want to take a nap...and some days I don't fight her to take one and she does just fine. On those days she's ready to go to bed around 7'ish. Other days, we're out and about running errands or meeting up with friends - and she takes a cat nap in the car. And then there are days when she flat out refuses to sleep and is so tired that she pitches royal fits...and I mean, screaming at the top of her lungs temper tantrums (so awesome). On those days...my patience is tested and I really question my parenting skills.

Here's what happened recently when she told me:

"I don't wanna take a nap!!!"

Really??? Huh!
Well.....
Guess where I found her around 4:30 pm?

She had crashed on the hardwood floors
outside of her playroom.





She didn't sleep long; probably because she wasn't comfortable, ya think? And it was like waking a sleeping bear...UGH - it was a long night!

Any tips for not dropping the nap? I've sorta tried "quiet time" but I haven't fully committed to it. I'd also love words of advice or encouragement from those of you who have "been there, done that".

1 comment:

Katie said...

I still have days with Porter...Basically, I have settled for quiet time, but if we have something going on that evening, I insist he takes a nap. He actually does well now if there's something to look forward to. When there is no nap, he either lays in my bed and I let him pick a movie OR he has to play quietly in his room. Essentially, I just ask for at least an hour of no one asking me questions or calling my name! I dread the day that B drops his 3-hour nap!!! Then what will be my excuse for quiet time!